Friday, January 10, 2014

since we've been gone it's getting harder for us to remember



With me, the present is forever, and forever is always shifting, flowing, melting. This second is life. And when it is gone it is dead. But you can't start over with each new second. You have to judge by what is dead. It's like quicksand... hopeless from the start. A story, a picture, can renew sensation a little, but not enough, not enough. Nothing is real except the present, and already, I feel the weight of centuries smoothering me. Some girl a hundred years ago once lived as I do. And she is dead. I am the present, but I know I, too, will pass. The high moment. the burning flash, come and are gone, continuous quicksand, And I don't want to die.



Taken from the Unabridged journals of Sylvia Plath.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com